Recently I have added a JBL auto top off for my aquarium due to my location(Arizona). My evaporation is insane here especially during the summer months when I have to use evaporative cooling. Since I’ve added it, its been so easy to care for, other than the usual water changes and some dosing here and there to maintain optimal levels. Amazon sells the auto top off for around 70 dollars and I purchased a fountain pump for the operation.
In one of my prior tanks, I had brought in a random rock that was covered in Christmas tree feather dusters, but its was not a Spirobranchus porites. It could have been I suppose but only if the coral portion had died. I was told these micro feather dusters would not spread through the tank. For a while I thought this to be true however, after a few months, my tank was filled with these micro feather dusters, various colors, red, black, orange, yellow, pink, blue, basically every color of the rainbow. They even came in multi color versions however only a few of these. Well I am doing all that I can to recreate this and as such, have added a Spirobranchus porites to my tank to hopefully allow it to spread among the tank. I have also added a few large feather dusters for the time being, and researching ways to propagate these tiny coco worms.
Yes, failure with the PVC protein skimmer. I am sure it can be done, however within this size tank, I think there is not enough space. So I decided to find another way to remove phosphates from the water.
Voila a miracle refugium built with the light that I started with! I had to modify the black lid on the tank but after a few drops of super glue and a metal saw blade, it was a perfect fit. Now you may be wondering how I am able to keep this macro algae from entering the sump pump, and that is a great question. I went to the local pet store and bought a large pad of bio-foam for a different sump and cut it to size. I wedged it down beneath the macro algae and things have been going great!
I have plans on upgrading the lighting in the back by building an LED assembly with drivers and all but that will be a ways away.
So over a few months now, and I’ve had difficulty with my lighting and I think possibly the nitrites and nitrates. What I mean is that I’m having a wee bit of hair algae growth within the tank and its come in on the coral frags I’ve purchased. So I’ve done a little bit of overkill I think for the tank to rid myself of the growth.
Stage one of my attack! I asked around and found out that bumblebee snails are not actual algae eaters..so a Mexican turbo snail should help out!
Stage two, decreased lighting from 9hrs to around 7hrs.
Stage three, I made a PVC pipe protein skimmer out of 3/4 inch PVC. I am not super sure if its needed but the 5 dollars I spent making it couldn’t hurt. Have to wait a few days to see if its actually working.
After all the components and parts are put together your tank could look something like this! I am super happy about the turnout here. Total amount spent was $264.89 with weeks of food and premixed water!