Decorating and placement of corals

Added in a few new corals, built a semi circle within the tank and picked up a pistol shrimp for the tank.

The Yellow Watchman Goby ended up pairing with the shrimp and reorganizing my tank.

Here are some pictures of the tank these days!

Front view of a nano tank
A full view of the front, tons of coral and getting a lot of growth too!
side view of the semi circle
Side view of the semi circle
side view of coral
Another view of the circle

The protein skimmer didn’t work out so well.

 

Yes, failure with the PVC protein skimmer.  I am sure it can be done, however within this size tank, I think there is not enough space.  So I decided to find another way to remove phosphates from the water.

Voila a miracle refugium built with the light that I started with!  I had to modify the black lid on the tank but after a few drops of super glue and a metal saw blade, it was a perfect fit.  Now you may be wondering how I am able to keep this macro algae from entering the sump pump, and that is a great question.  I went to the local pet store and bought a large pad of bio-foam for a different sump and cut it to size.  I wedged it down beneath the macro algae and things have been going great!

I have plans on upgrading the lighting in the back by building an LED assembly with drivers and all but that will be a ways away.

 

Chaetomorpha linium in the back of a sump tank
Within the sump portion of the tank, I added Chaetomorpha linium and a light.

A nano worthy protein skimmer

So over a few months now, and I’ve had difficulty with my lighting and I think possibly the nitrites and nitrates.  What I mean is that I’m having a wee bit of hair algae growth within the tank and its come in on the coral frags I’ve purchased.  So I’ve done a little bit of overkill I think for the tank to rid myself of the growth.

Stage one of my attack!  I asked around and found out that bumblebee snails are not actual algae eaters..so a Mexican turbo snail should help out!

Stage two, decreased lighting from 9hrs to around 7hrs.

Stage three, I made a PVC pipe protein skimmer out of 3/4 inch PVC.  I am not super sure if its needed but the 5 dollars I spent making it couldn’t hurt.  Have to wait a few days to see if its actually working.

This was a failure